The Elektra Micro Casa a Leva home espresso blog

The Elektra Micro Casa a leva is a beautiful home espresso machine. But is it capable of making great coffee? Follow my pursuit of ultimate espresso coffee as I learn to use this exciting machine.

Name:
Location: Trondheim, Norway

Wednesday, August 3

My caffeinated summer!

Cappuccino and strawberries Originally uploaded by audunso.

This summer I´ve been drinking twice as much coffee as I normally do. I have had time to make espresso or cappuccino three-four times a day, plus I´ve been drinking a lot of freshly roasted filter coffee. Nice! No one should sleep away the norwegian summer nights.....

I have become more familiar with my Elektra machine. It´s no secret that I like the machine a lot. It is a good looking machine, with the possibility to make excellent espresso. I have taken a huge leap in my latte art skills, thanks to the machine´s ability to make perfect milk (+ I have had more exercise than ever before).

I should be honest when problems come up. As I said, the downside of this machine is not the espresso or the milk. The problem is overheating, which only allows for the preparation of three espressi. There are sometimes more than three people in the house. Many times, I have had to decide who gets coffee now and who gets coffee later..... I make three shots at the most. This is because the water lever indicator says that´s the max, and, most importantly because shot number three is too hot. I can turn the machine off in between shots, but anyway the third shot is less good than the two first. And, when making a milk drink, the crema of the third shot start cracking up before I get to pour milk. A bit frustrating, really. It seems to be a two-shot machine + a third ”emergency-shot” that has to be enjoyed with milk.

A few days ago, I was out of coffee when a friend called me and said she was thirty minutes away and wanted espresso! So I had to turn on the machine, open a new coffee bag, try to dial in the grinder, turn off the machine and then use a cloth and LOTS of cold water to cool the group. I somehow succeeded, but next time the same happens, I´ll make filter coffee instead. It´s too big a job to try a quick ”tyro-fix” on the warm group. Every time I get a new batch of coffee, I have to spend two or three shots to dial in the grinder. It´s a pretty narrow grinder setting that gives the optimum coffee. So one ”making” goes away to adjust the grinder to near-perfect, before any really good shots can be enjoyed later. I guess that only a true Elektra-lover will like or accept this routine. As you will guess, I have nothing or little against it ☺

How should one handle these small problems? Well, when people see the machine they usually comments its style, beauty or uniqueness, and they have no problems accepting that its a very special machine. They understand when I explain its old technology and the overheating issue, and so they accept that some people get coffee now, and some get coffee later....

But most of all it´s a machine for maximum two or three people and not for family gatherings ☺

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why you'll keep your La Valentina? :)

Thomas.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Audun said...

yes, you're right about that. But now, In Oslo, I only have the Elektra. I will bring the la Valentina later.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous guile said...

nice, cozy place you got here :)..

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home